Arizona Local Invert and Entomology Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Elevation Hunting

2 posters

Go down

High Elevation Hunting Empty High Elevation Hunting

Post by James H Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:43 pm

I went out last friday afternoon to a spot is around 8000ft in elevation where I have found multiple S. viridis at. Got there late in the afternoon around 3:30 and started flipping. I was out till around 6:30 when the sun set and the temps started to drop but I did find a half dozen S. viridis and Latrodectus hesperus at least three species of ants, they were under every other rock, and one little scorpion. I didnt get a picture of him but it looked like V. lapidicola. The little guy bolted under a second rock when I lifted the big one it was under and was gone into a crack. It could have been V. jonesi as I have found V. jonesi less then 5 miles, stright line distance, from where I was. No Tarantulas on this trip. I know that they have to be in the area but havent been lucky enough to find one. Hope that everyone else is having a good start to the fall.
James H
James H
4th Instar

Back to top Go down

High Elevation Hunting Empty Re: High Elevation Hunting

Post by John Apple Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Nice James...are the viridis the nice blue striped ones? we found a few in the Davis mountains that I have at this time....waiting on them to grow a bit
John Apple
John Apple
Arachno Super Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by James H Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:25 pm

Nope the ones that I find from up there are gray with some slight red at the edge of each tergite. The best looking ones that I have found in arizona are found around 10 miles south of flagstaff. At that spot I have found everything from emerald green to almost a sky blue. Thats also where I have found 6-7 inch polymorpha. I had to double check that they were not heros when I first found them.
James H
James H
4th Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by John Apple Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:25 am

6-7" polymorpha....man that is a monster. The ones I have are about 4-5" and adults.
John Apple
John Apple
Arachno Super Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum