Arizona Local Invert and Entomology Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call To Arms: Invert Pathogens

3 posters

Go down

Call To Arms: Invert Pathogens Empty Call To Arms: Invert Pathogens

Post by cacoseraph Mon May 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Call To Arms: Invert Pathogens

I have recently seen an unusually high number of "should i release them?" threads in various forums. In and of itself, this is not particularly alarming... but the trend of users telling the OP it is ok is quite concerning!

A while ago i made a little subforum that was hidden from public view so that i could work on invert pathogens with just a few people... but i sort of let the project fall by the way side.

Now i see that i was going about things the wrong way... i should have had this publicly accessible from the beginning as i have lost over a year of potentially valuable contributions from all of you!

So i ask all of you now.... please help me to learn all we can about invertebrate pathogens so that we can finally (eventually) have a hard paper full of nice scientific citations to show any who doubt the dubious value to a species of being released back into nature from someone's collection!

The newlly public sub-forum is here:
http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/forum46.php <-- cacoseraph's workshop: The Coming Plague

p.s.
if you are not already a member of SCABIES and wish to join please do! general membership to the forum is not resticted in any way! there are a few of our subforums that are private... but the vast majority are viewable by all and postable by any registered user Wink
if you do not wish to join scabies, but would like to contribute to this effort you can post links and discussion in this thread in whatever forum you found it in and i will add the reference to the scabies subforum

thanks for reading!

cacoseraph
2nd Instar

Back to top Go down

Call To Arms: Invert Pathogens Empty Re: Call To Arms: Invert Pathogens

Post by josh_r Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:44 pm

i 100% back this up. it is not a good idea to release animals back into the wild after they have been exposed to a collection (especially when many exotic species are present) that is exactly how mojave desert populations of desert tortoise are declining so fast. people kept desert tortoises with sulcata tortoises and were exposed to a severe disease. these people then decided they didnt want the desert tortoises anymore, so they let them go. this disease quickly swept through the desert tortoise population, killing many. i would hate to see this happen to our native T's. this is a good project caco. keep it up man.

-josh
josh_r
josh_r
Admin

https://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff288/pascoman81/

Back to top Go down

Post by John Apple Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Agreeable on this myself...hell look at what all the non native stuff has done to the native stuff...heck this summer I did not see one anolis carolinensis....saw everything else
John Apple
John Apple
Arachno Super Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum